Data Protection Policy
- This policy has been prepared by Nadin Thomson.
- This policy became operational on 20 May 2018.
- Next review date: 1 Sep 2021.
Business Image Services Ltd needs to gather and use certain information about individuals.
These can include customers, suppliers, business contacts, and other people the organisation has a relationship with or may need to contact.
This policy describes how this personal data must be collected, handled and stored to meet the company’s data protection standards — and to comply with the law.
Why this policy exists
This data protection policy ensures that Business Image Services Ltd:
- Complies with data protection law and follow good practice
- Protects the rights of customers and partners
- Is open about how it stores and processes individuals’ data
- Protects itself from the risks of a data breach
Data protection law
The GDPR describes how organisations — including Business Image Services Ltd— must collect, handle and store personal information.
These rules apply regardless of whether data is stored electronically, on paper or on other materials. To comply with the law, personal information must be collected and used fairly, stored safely and not disclosed unlawfully.
The GDPR is underpinned by eight important principles. These say that personal data must:
- Be processed fairly and lawfully
- Be obtained only for specific, lawful purposes
- Be adequate, relevant and not excessive
- Be accurate and kept up to date
- Not be held for any longer than necessary
- Processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects
- Be protected in appropriate ways
- Not be transferred outside the European Economic Area (EEA), unless that country or territory also ensures an adequate level of protection
People, risks and responsibilities
This policy applies to:
- The head office of Business Image Services Ltd
- All branches of Business Image Services Ltd
- All staff and volunteers of Business Image Services Ltd
- All contractors, suppliers and other people working on behalf of Business Image Services Ltd
It applies to all data that the company holds relating to identifiable individuals, even if that information technically falls outside of the GDPR. This can include:
- Names of individuals
- Postal addresses
- Email addresses
- Telephone numbers
- …plus any other information relating to individuals
Data protection risks
This policy helps to protect Business Image Services from some very real data security risks, including:
- Breaches of confidentiality. For instance, information being given out inappropriately.
- Failing to offer choice. For instance, all individuals should be free to choose how the company uses data relating to them.
- Reputational damage. For instance, the company could suffer if hackers successfully gained access to sensitive data.
Everyone who works for or with Business Image Services Ltd has some responsibility for ensuring data is collected, stored and handled appropriately. Whomever at Business Image Services Ltd handles personal data must ensure that it is handled and processed in line with this policy and data protection principles.
However, these people have key areas of responsibility:
Nadin Thomson is ultimately responsible for ensuring that Business Image Services Ltd meets its legal obligations. Nadin Thomson is responsible for:
- Keeping updated about data protection responsibilities, risks and issues.
- Reviewing all data protection procedures and related policies, in line with an agreed schedule.
- Arranging data protection training and advice for the people covered by this policy.
- Handling data protection questions from staff and anyone else covered by this policy.
- Dealing with requests from individuals to see the data Business Image Services Ltd holds about them (also called ‘subject access requests’).
- Checking and approving any contracts or agreements with third parties that may handle the company’s sensitive data.
Nadin Thomson is responsible for IT used at Business Image Services Ltd, including computers, laptops, mobile phones and other devices that can store personal data. Nadin Thomson will ensure
- that all systems, services and equipment used for storing data meet acceptable security standards.
- Performing regular checks and scans to ensure security hardware and software is functioning properly.
- Evaluating any third-party services the company is considering using to store or process data. For instance, cloud computing services.
Nadin Thomson is responsible for any marketing related activities at Business Image Services Ltd. Nadin is responsible for:
- Approving any data protection statements attached to communications such as emails and letters.
- Addressing any data protection queries from journalists or media outlets like newspapers.
- Where necessary, working with other staff to ensure marketing initiatives abide by data protection principles.
General guidelines for data usage
- The only people able to access data covered by this policy should be those who need it for their work.
- Data should not be shared informally. When access to confidential information is required, it can be request from Nadin Thomson.
- Business Image Services Ltd will request that suppliers understand their responsibilities when handling data.
- In particular, strong passwords must be used and they should never be shared.
- Personal data should not be disclosed to unauthorised people, either within the company or externally.
- Data should be regularly reviewed and updated if it is found to be out of date. If no longer required, it should be deleted and disposed of.
These rules describe how and where data should be safely stored. Questions about storing data safely can be directed to the IT manager or data controller. When data is stored on paper, it should be kept in a secure place where unauthorised people cannot see or access it. These guidelines also apply to data that is usually stored electronically but has been printed out for some reason:
When not required, the paper or files should be kept in a locked drawer or filing cabinet. Nadin will make sure paper and printouts are not left where unauthorised people could see them, like on a printer. Data printouts should be shredded and disposed of securely when no longer required.
When data is stored electronically, it must be protected from unauthorised access, accidental deletion and malicious hacking attempts:
- Data should be protected by strong passwords that are changed regularly and never shared between employees.
If data is stored on removable media (like a USB or external disk), these should be kept locked away securely when not being used.
- Data should only be stored on designated drives and servers, and should only be uploaded to an approved cloud computing services.
- Servers containing personal data should be sited in a secure location, away from general office space.
- Data should be backed up frequently. Those backups should be tested regularly, in line with the company’s standard backup procedures.
- Data should never be saved directly to laptops or other mobile devices like tablets or smart phones.
All servers and computers containing data should be protected by approved security software and a firewall.
Personal data is of no value to Business Image Services Ltd unless the business can make use of it. However, it is when personal data is accessed and used that it can be at the greatest risk of loss, corruption or theft:
- When working with personal data, Nadin Thomson will ensure the screens of their computers are always locked when left unattended.
- Personal data should not be shared informally. In particular, it should never be sent by email, as this form of communication is not secure.
- Data must be encrypted before being transferred electronically.
- Personal data should never be transferred outside of the European Economic Area.
- Only central copies of any data will accessed and updates. There must not be multiple copies of personal data.
The law requires Business Image Services Ltd to take reasonable steps to ensure data is kept accurate and up to date. The more important it is that the personal data is accurate, the greater the effort Business Image Services Ltd should put into ensuring its accuracy. Nadin Thomson is take reasonable steps to ensure it is kept as accurate and up to date as possible.
Data will be held in as few places as necessary. Nadin Thomson should not create any unnecessary additional data sets. Nadin Thomson should take every opportunity to ensure data is updated. For instance, by confirming a customer’s details when they call. Business Image Services Ltd will make it easy for data subjects to update the information Business Image Services Ltd holds about them. For instance, via the company website. Data should be updated as inaccuracies are discovered. For instance, if a customer can no longer be reached on their stored telephone number, it should be removed from the database. It is the Nadin Thomson’s responsibility to ensuremarketing databases are checked against industry suppression files every six months.
Subject access requests
All individuals who are the subject of personal data held by Business Image Services Ltd are entitled to:
- Ask what information the company holds about them and why.
- Ask how to gain access to it.
- Be informed how to keep it up to date.
- Be informed how the company is meeting its data protection obligations.
If an individual contacts the company requesting this information, this is called a subject access request.
Subject access requests from individuals should be made by email, using the below contact form. Enquiries sent through this form are sent directly to Nadin Thomson. You can also call Nadin Thomson directly at 07834 826 500.
Individuals will not charged. Nadin Thomson will aim to provide the relevant data within 30 days.
Nadin Thomson will always verify the identity of anyone making a subject access request before handing over any information.
Disclosing data for other reasons
In certain circumstances, the GDPR allows personal data to be disclosed to law enforcement agencies without the consent of the data subject.
Under these circumstances, Business Image Services Ltd will disclose requested data. However, the data controller will ensure the request is legitimate, seeking assistance from the board and from the company’s legal advisers where necessary.
Business Image Services Ltd aims to ensure that individuals are aware that their data is being processed, and that they understand:
- How the data is being used
- How to exercise their rights
To these ends, the company has a privacy statement, setting out how data relating to individuals is used by the company.
Who is behind this website?
When someone visits www.business-image.co.uk, I use a third party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and details of my website visitors’ behaviour patterns. I do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of my website. This information is only processed in a way which does not identify anyone. I do not make, and do not allow Google to make, any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our website.
I have also enabled IP address anonymisation so that my website users’ IP addresses are not transmitted to Google. You can read about this here.
Access to your personal information
If you are a client, or have enquired about my services, I will keep some personal data on file. You are entitled to view, amend, or request the personal information that we hold to be deleted. Email your request to Nadin Thomson, using the form above.
Your privacy is important to me and we have taken measures to make sure that we protect it and let you know how we will use it. Below, you will find how your information is used.
Submitting a form on my website
I will use the information that you provide to me on my website to provide you with information you request, or to provide the services that you have requested. This may involve e-mailing you to confirm the service and for other administrative matters or to inform you about changes to the service or to notify you of new services.
Use of this website
This Website is controlled and operated by Business Image Services Ltd, Registered Number: SC283268 in Scotland, United Kingdom. Business Image Services Ltd make no representation that materials in the website are appropriate or available for use in other locations. Anyone who elects to access this website from any other location does so on their own initiative and is responsible for compliance with applicable local laws.
Use of website
The terms and conditions apply to your use of Business Image Services website at www.business-image.co.uk (the “Website”). The terms and conditions apply regardless of how you access the website, including any devices by which you can access the website at home, or on the move. You must read these Terms and Conditions carefully, and we recommend that you print and keep a copy for your future reference. By accessing, browsing, using the Website or sending me information through the website, you confirm that you have read, understood and agree to these terms and conditions in their entirety. If you do not agree to these terms and conditions in their entirety, please do not use this website.
The copyright in all material provided on this Site is held by Business Image Services Ltd. Except as advised herein, none of the material on this site may be copied, reproduced, distributed, republished, downloaded, displayed, posted or transmitted in any form or by any means, including, but not limited to, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of Business Image Services Ltd. Any use of these materials on any other site or networked computer environment for any purpose is prohibited.
Permission is granted to display and download the materials for your personal, non-commercial use only, provided you do not modify the materials and that you retain all copyright claims, marks and other proprietary notices contained within the materials. You can share the link to this website’s homepage or individual pages or blog post on social media. You may pin photographs on Pinterest.
Ownership rights / copyright
All rights, including copyright and other intellectual property rights, in and to this website are owned by or licensed to Business Image Services Ltd.
Links to external websites
Links to third party websites on this site are provided solely as a convenience to you. If you use these links, you will leave the Business Image website. Business Image Services Ltd do not actively review all of these third party sites, nor do they possess any control and are not responsible for any of these sites or their content.
Thus, Business Image Services Ltd does not endorse or make any representations about any other linked site, or any information, software or other products or materials found there, or any results that may be obtained from using them. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked from this Site, you do this entirely at your own risk.